This recipe takes forever to make, but it’s pretty dang good. If you’ve got some sort of sophisticated home event you need to bring a dish to, consider this.
1 c raw cashews, soaked four hours
2 T fresh lemon juice
1 T coconut oil
1 T miso
2 t nutritional yeast
1 t apple cider vinegar
sea salt, to taste
2-3 tablespoons water, as needed
5 small, prepackaged beets*
1 T balsamic vinegar
*You can buy fresh beets and cook them from scratch, but I found the prepackaged, cooked organic beets to be much easier.
- After soaking for four hours, drain and rinse cashews.
- Place cashews, lemon juice, coconut oil, miso, nutritional yeast, apple cider vinegar, and a pinch of sea salt in a blender. Blend until completely smooth, adding water if necessary.
- Transfer cheese to an airtight jar, wrap jar in tea kitchen towel, and let sit overnight.
- The next day, preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place beets, balsamic vinegar, and another pinch of salt into a food processor. Blend until beets are diced or nearly shredded, not liquified.
- Pack cheese into a well-oiled 4″ dish (I used the bottom half of a round glass Tupperware). Do your best to eliminate any air pockets and bake for ten minutes.
- Remove from oven and flip onto a plate. The cheese should slide out.
- Top with beet tartare and return to the oven for another ten minutes.
- Serve warm with your choice of crackers. I chose one of my favorites, Nut Thins.
Serves 8-10 as an appetizer.
Bummed Out Baker Honest Rating: 6/10
Rick-the-Meat-Eater Honest Rating: 0/10
I took points off due to the recipes high maintenance time, and Rick hates beets, so.
Adapted from Beet Tartare with Cashew Cheese.
Subscribe at the bottom of Bummed Out Baker to get my mental health musings and recipes emailed to you directly – Follow on Facebook for mental health articles and discussion – Follow on Instagram for behind-the-scenes panic attacks and my begrudging, meat-eating husband captured in the wild.
If you or someone you know needs help right now, call the Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255.