Homemade soup doesn’t have to be a big to do. The following is an easy recipe that’s perfect for a ~cozy meal in~.
2 T olive oil
1 medium red onion, diced
10 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
~1/2 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
2-4 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 t ground cinnamon
1 1/2″ piece of ginger, peeled and grated
1 1/2 t fresh thyme
4 c vegetable broth
1/2 t sea salt
1/8 t black pepper
14 oz canned coconut milk or 2 c vegetable broth, regular coconut milk, or water*
*For this recipe I had about 8 oz of canned coconut milk leftover in the fridge so I used that and, instead of opening a new can of full-fat coconut milk, I just supplemented it with 1 c of regular coconut milk.
- In a soup pot 6 qt or bigger, add the olive oil and sauté the onion until translucent. Season with a pinch of sea salt.
- Add carrots, sweet potatoes, garlic, cinnamon, ginger, thyme, broth, sea salt, and pepper and stir.
- Bring mixture to a low simmer, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook for 30 minutes, until vegetables are soft.
- Purée the soup using a blender, food processor, or immersion blender. Then, pour blended soup back into pot.
- Over medium, stir in coconut milk and mix well. Allow soup to cook a few more minutes, until the flavors meld and it’s hot all the way through. Taste and add additional seasonings, if necessary.
- Garnish soup with fresh thyme or a sprinkle of cayenne pepper.
Bummed Out Bailey Rating: 8/10
Rick-the-Meat-Eater Rating: 4/10
Don’t like coconut.Rick, a meat-eating husband who had no complaints about previous coconut-y soups
Adapted from Vegan Creamy Ginger Carrot Sweet Potato Soup.
Do you love Bummed Out Bailey? The best way you can support me is to share my blog with friends! Another way to support is on my Patreon where you’ll find exclusive content. Your word of mouth and contribution mean more to me than you’ll ever know!
If you or someone you know needs help right now, please call the Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255.