I don’t wanna brag here but I grew up in Arlington, Texas in the era of the Dallas Cowboys dominating the NFL, and my main takeaway has always been that the best thing about Super Bowl Sunday is… the food. Ha!
I have but a mild understanding of football and am suspicious of the brain damage, BUT! that doesn’t stop me from eating good food with loved ones. It just so happens to be in the same vicinity as a loud TV on this particular day of the year. These twice-baked potato skins are the bomb, secret vegetables in the shape of special treats. Break them out for Super Bowl Sunday, football fan or not.
BONUS VEGAN TRICK! Offer an unsuspecting, meat-eating game-watcher one of these in the middle of a tense play. They will eat it, love it, and ask no questions except whether they can have more. BONUS VEGAN TRICK!
As I write this, these potatoes are already gone. Eaten, consumed, enjoyed, disappeared. I miss them really badly. Remember the good times we had together, potatoes?
1 russet potato, peeled and diced
2 small carrots, sliced
1/4 white onion, diced
1 c vegetable broth
1/2 c raw cashews
4 T nutritional yeast
1 T lemon juice
1 t sea salt
1/2 t garlic powder
pinch of paprika
pinch of cayenne pepper
3 russet potatoes, scrubbed
1/4 c almond milk (or other dairy-free option)
1 T Organic Earth Balance Butter
2 T Organic Vegenaise
1 t sea salt
1 t garlic powder
1 t paprika
1 t onion powder
Cheese Sauce to drizzle on top (see above)
- Bring potatoes, carrots, onion, and three cups of water to a boil in a medium pot and allow to cook until veggies are tender, about 10-15 minutes. (Cooking time will vary depending on size of chopped pieces.)
- When tender, drain vegetables and place in blender.
- Add all remaining ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 400°F and bake three potatoes until tender, about 40 minutes depending on potato size. Remove potatoes from oven and allow to cool.
- Slice potatoes in half “hot dog style” to make shallow boats. Scoop out potatoes, leaving about 1/4″-1/2″ around the edges. Place the potato insides into a medium bowl.
- Add milk, Vegenaise, butter, sea salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika to potato in the bowl and mash together.
- Fill potato skins with potato mixture.
- Drizzle potatoes with Vegan Cheese and place back into the oven for eight minutes.
- Remove from oven and top with chives and cilantro.
Adapted from Loaded Vegan Potato Skins.
Do you love Bummed Out Baker? Want to help keep it going? Support me on my Patreon. Your contribution means more to me than you’ll ever know!
To subscribe to Bummed Out Baker by email, scroll all the way down to the bottom of the website to find the form. Follow Instagram for behind-the-scenes panic attacks and my begrudging, meat-eating husband captured in the wild, Facebook for mental health articles and discussion, and Twitter for sassy or informative tweets.
If you or someone you know needs help right now, please call the Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255.